Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath
Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 Local & Parliament Elections
 2012 Council Elections  
Author Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 03 May 2012 :  1:52:17 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derek

Terry mind it'll be Bob for provost winking Derek.

Will the first results of all eight wards be announced Friday??? How do they vote in Provost/Mayor??? Is it by all the newly elected/re-elected Councillors voting for Nominee Councillors put forward on a "majority of votes wins" selection??? Are you sure Bob Spink would accept a Nomination??? If he did he'd make an excellent Angus Mayor/Provost.

Terrymac
I have only one voice but I still strive to make a difference.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 03 May 2012 :  2:34:58 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
The ruling majority simply choose if they can agree on a nomination, as the council members votes for it. It's just the story that's been doing the rounds.

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  12:55:26 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wards 1,2,3 and 4 have returned two S.N.P. Councillors per ward so far...
Ward 1 Kirriemuir & Dean
Ward 2 Brechin and Edzell
Ward 3 - Forfar & District
Ward 4 Monifieth & Sidlaw

Only Montrose, Carnoustie and Arbroath's two wards to release final count... If these wards return two S.N.P. councillors per ward they shall have full majority rule... 16 to 13. If one ward only returns one S.N.P. councillor they still have majority... 15 to 14

Terrymac
baz
Wee Muff Haggis Supper

baz

Scotland
219 Posts
Last here:
13 Mar 2015
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  2:15:35 PM Show Profile Visit baz's HomepageSend baz a Private Message Reply with Quote
.... and the SNP have it big grin

There are three types of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can`t.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  3:34:44 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
thank you thank you, i hope you all went to the bookies on my advice big grin

Now remember it's auld Bob for Provost too!

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  3:53:17 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
ARBROATH WEST AND LETHAM.

1) A. King (SNP)
2) D. Lumgair (cons)
3) D. Fairweather (ind)
4) Ewan Smith (SNP)

ARBROATH EAST AND LUNAN.

1) Bob Spink (Ind)
2) S.Welsh (SNP)
3) D. Morrison (SNP)
4) M.Geddes (cons)

In Arbroath West I was wrong.. Alex King was first and Lumgair second with David Fairweather being re-elected not replaced.
In Arbroath East I was nearly right except Bob Spink was first making Sheena Welsh second.

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  4:13:19 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I think that this is correct... anyway proper figures shall be on news, in paper and on Angus Council on-line.
S.N.P. Have 15 Councillors ... a ruling majority.
Sc. Cons. Unionists Have 3 Councillors
Sc. Libs. Have 2 Councillors
Sc. Lab. Have 1 Councillor
Independants Have 8 Councillors

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  4:31:36 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
It is highly interesting to note that the major UK parties of liberal, conservative and especially labour have been largely ignored in this election in Angus with 15 SNP and 8 Independants making a total of 23 out of 29 councillors not affiliated to any UK wide party.
Alex Salmond shall be "cock a hoop" on this result in Angus... He only said today it would be very hard for the SNP to gain a majority within the stv voting system.... which is mainly designed to give proportional representation making it hard for ANY party to get a ruling majority.

Terrymac
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  4:33:12 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Arbroath East

GEDDES, Martyn - Conservative and Unionist - 547
GRAHAM, Ginny - Liberal Democrats - 109
MORRISON, Donald - (SNP) - 766
SPINK, Bob - Independent - 955
STUART, Alastair - Labour Party - 472
WELSH, Sheena - (SNP) - 858

Arbroath West

BARTHORPE, Kevin - Liberal Democrats - 191
FAIRWEATHER, David - Independent - 747
KING, Alex - (SNP) - 1,033
LUMGAIR, David - Conservative and Unionist - 960
MOLLISON, Alec - Labour Party - 423
NIELD, Peter - Independent - 191
SMITH, Ewan - (SNP) - 653
WATSON, Ian - Independent - 184
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  5:20:12 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
Sad to note that in Bob Spinks ward only one third of voters turned out.. and in Alex Kings ward only about four out of ten people turned up to vote... The average turnout for all of Angus appears to be less than 40%.

Mr. Nield did not get many votes... Looks like "the silent majority" remained silent!!

Terrymac
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 04 May 2012 :  6:48:48 PM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrymac

Sad to note that in Bob Spinks ward only one third of voters turned out.. and in Alex Kings ward only about four out of ten people turned up to vote... The average turnout for all of Angus appears to be less than 40%.

Mr. Nield did not get many votes... Looks like "the silent majority" remained silent!!

Yeah it's a shocking turnout. Folk should be ashamed of themsleves.

"the silent majority" rolling on the floor

Derek.
Derek
Supreme Master Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
2792 Posts
Last here:
21 Feb 2017
Posted - 09 May 2012 :  03:01:39 AM Show ProfileSend Derek a Private Message Reply with Quote
Och well, I shouldn't try fortune telling. Bob Jr has ruled himself out of the Provosts job.

Courier

Derek.
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 09 May 2012 :  5:36:15 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derek

Och well, I shouldn't try fortune telling. Bob Jr has ruled himself out of the Provosts job.

Derek.

The Councillor elected mayor/provost has to take a step backward from party politics and make little public comment on any major issues... Not, I think, something that Cllr. Spink would have wanted to do.

Terrymac
Terrymac
Master Smokie

Terrymac

United Kingdom
2440 Posts
Last here:
04 Jan 2019
Posted - 09 May 2012 :  5:40:46 PM Show Profile Visit Terrymac's HomepageSend Terrymac a Private Message Reply with Quote
I see that it has been reported the SNP Office has been actively contacting all non-SNP Angus councillors and asking them to put any and all previous petty bickering behind them and that they all work together for the benefit of the electorate of Angus.

Terrymac
Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.42 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *