Details of local visitor attractionsAll about ArbroathFamous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTube

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 Community
 General Arbroath Chatter
 The butcher's boy  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  4:39:44 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hamilton.......Sigh! Not forgotten at all.

I had no idea you were there, I though I was completely alone during that nightmare, as I often was at the dancin. The boy was Mike Teveiotdale and I'm sad to say I heard that he fell off the back of his own fishing boat not so many years later and was never found.

That fight started days earlier in the playground at the Academy and I wasn't even present.
Mike was bulling my young brother who like any younger brother said, "don't touch me or I will get my big brother." Mike then told Colin, " OK then, tell your brother I will be looking for him on Saturday at the dancin."
Colin well warned me not to go, my parents told me not to go......but I was young and foolish I put on my brand new suit that I had made for me at Burtons. Then off I went alone.
I remember; during the dance I noticed spotters walking the dance looking for me, as soon as they spotted me they took off in a group for the door. I knew right then, 'it was on'.

I remember; as I left the dance there was Mike wearing leather jacket & jeans with 4 boys standing behind him, "Your brother says you can take me," he said. I barely uttered, "That's nothing to do with me, I didn't say that," when doon came this heid hard on my brow almost knocking me out, I luckily stumbled forward and locked against him as my head cleared, the two of us locked into battle rolled along the Mayflowers wall & towards Lambs showroom at times he was against the wall and then with a roll I was against the wall and so on.
Then came the infamous showroom window, unfortunately it was my turn to be rolling towards the wall.........I have had people tell me since that I came VERY close to dying that day as a huge guillotine shaped plate glass section crashed down over my head.........it was at that very moment that Mike pulled me for yet another roll along the wall and in doing so Mike Teviotdale saved my life!

NO Hamilton I will NEVER forget that day as long as I live.
I remember whenever I was on top the four buddies would kick me from every direction. Including a guy from my class Peem H.
I remember in midst fight and being on top casually taking Mikes glasses off his face turning and asking someone to "save his glasses"
I remember when the fight broke up before the police came, seeing Mikes girlfriend ******* Peters hysterically crying and being comforted, I consoled her "He's OK *******"
I remember going home with my brand new suit cut on the leg and arm and I was bleeding from an um not so bad glass cut on my arm. (depended on the viewer.)
I remember my dad grabbing me by the collar and marching me down to the Police station, and seeing Mike and the 4 boys standing outside my dad said pointing at Mike, "YOU INSIDE" so my father turned us both in.
I remember dads words inside, "these are the two boys who were fighting and broke the window, " and then turning to me said, "tell the truth, your on your own."
I remember next day Mike's father standing in my parent living room obvious they were acquaintances , "As boys we would fight George but never anything like this."
I remember Mikes dad saying to me, " Go get a new suit, Mike is grounded and I will make him pay for it out of his allowance." I just had invisible repairs made, the jacket repaired OK but the pants not so well showing obvious repairs as a constant reminder to me of the day I almost died.

I also remember 10 years later, after I had been in Canada for 6 or more years, I returned home with my wife and two children and we were standing at the harbour watching the boats ready for sea. And there I saw it; my old classmate Peem H pointing me out to the other men on the boat. Yes; Peem was one of the spotters and the boys kicking me whenever I was on top.

SO! Hamilton, you now know; I will never forget, I do wish it never happened, but I really didn't have a lot to say about it did I.

I also remember the judge with strong ties to the fit oh the toon passed judgement, "There was obvious provocation NOT GUILTY!"

A New Years Resolution; something that goes in one year and out the other.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  4:56:21 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Hamilton, Francis Will has a special place in my heart, we have known each other since my first day of school. My mother tells me that Francis was playing out front of the Will council house on Horologe Hill when we walked by that day Francis stopped dead in her tracks as I also did. Mum says, "the two of you staring at each other, I had to drag you away."
Francis and I were long time friends all through our childhood, we never dated per say, just good friends with an unexplainable bond, Over the years I counseled Frannie on many a boy problem including Jimmy Coulie.
Thanks for reminding me of good times.

Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  5:10:17 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
8ball,

AHHHHHHH now it make sense. Your mums Charlie & Bills sister, then she would know my mum AIleen (Patterson) Dickson. My mum used to tell me stories about your grandfather (a character) going to the dancin wearing tackity boots. And something about herself standing on the roof of the Flemings old Butcher shop to watch the Victory Parade and having to climb a ladder to the roof with the boys looking up the girls skirts below.winking

8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
292 Posts
Last here:
25 Aug 2014
Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  11:06:21 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian i have many many storys 2 tell you and the rest here on The Shoppie .. and im only 50ish
stan
Senior Smokie

stan

Canada
791 Posts
Last here:
20 Aug 2014
Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  4:26:41 PM Show Profile Visit stan's HomepageSend stan a Private Message Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Terrymac

I went to the YMCA hall "teeny bopper" dances first and then started going to Mayflower Hall when Bert ran it for us "teeny boppers"...(we were not old enough for The Marine).... I particularly remember the YMCA just before Xmas 1963 and The Dave Clark Five record "Glad All Over" had just been released.. Now that was a real foot stompin record.. It knocked the Beatles of No.1 spot in January 1964 (I Wanna Hold Your Hand").. Then there was the Sea Cadet Hall as well.. Pretty sure Stan D. played there in his group.
Yup, my computer is full of 60's songs with The Beatles still being my favourite with all others a close second..

Hi Terry Not only did we play at the Seacadet hall we ran the dances in partnership with Brian Milne We had the men from the weight lifters club on the door Very rowdy nights I remember one night the whole place erupted as the fishers in wine bum freezer jackets took on the toonsers in blue jackets(one or the other?) what a rammy It might have been the last dance!! :-) great fun though!! especially from the stage!!!The first place we ever played publically was at Bert Loewes mayflower dances then on to the YMCA then the Seacadet Hall ...THEN!!!!! The Marine big stuff!!! :-)
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
292 Posts
Last here:
25 Aug 2014
Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  7:23:57 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Lol..thats why we young upstarts called the Marine Ballroom the Zoo,coz at the age of 13 tull 16 we would sit on the hill at springy on a Friday or Saturday night.Listening 2 the bands upstairs untill the Fighting started. Then everyone turned in2 anamils teehee
Pétanque
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

France
174 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  5:17:01 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
8ball, thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the people who used to gather on the hill opposite the Marine, I now understand the 'Zoo' reference, makes perfect sense. I never sat on the grass bank myself but you must have been superbly entertained. I believe the marine is now luxury flats, not so much entertainment now, I hope!!
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
292 Posts
Last here:
25 Aug 2014
Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  8:14:10 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
I can remember the chrome rail and the low ceiling in the ponderlaw shop.But i cant remember the name of the road where our Grandads 1st shop was,i can see it on the left if you were heading 2wards Gayfield opposite that steep hill that went up 2 the Hotel on the right was it the Windmill?
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  2:02:00 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
8ball, Flemings original shop was on Millgate Loan and as you remember sat opposite Common Brae, (up to the High Common.) The shop stood separate from any other structures like a lonely (cream coloured) castle.
My own experience as Charlies Message boy, it took a lot of courage stepping through the front door, because it always brought on a barrage of good natured cheek.
Of course anyone who was a message boy/girl will remember the Common Brae as another een where you walked yir 1/2ton bike up tae the top. Even building up speed by peddling like a mad banchie on Millgate could only get you half way up the brae.

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  8:02:20 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
The building was "art deco" style, and it was located at the bottom of Greenbank Brae (which leads up to the common). The building was demolished to make way for the new multi-storey flats - our family moved down there in 1969, and were one of the first tenants in the first block. I used to go up the brae every day to work at the Infirmary. Seems like yesterday.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  9:10:43 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Thanks flintstone, I stand corrected, my gut told me that 'Common Brae' didn't sound right. Don't you wish that you kept one of the old Arbroath Street maps? Google just doesn't cut it.

My Granny used to live on Maul St opposite Mauls Bank House, I can't tell you how many times I have stood on the expressway opposite Mauls Bank looking for one of the Apple trees or some Rhubarb or Mint, anything to remind me of my grans back yard.... there's nothing left but memories.

flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  10:29:05 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian, when I think back to the days before "that road" tore the town apart, all those little streets off Guthrie Port that took you down to the Harbour area. You could go up Arrot Street, down Maule Street (remember Meg Ritchie's shoppie on the opposite corner from Bell Spink's shop), into Gravesend, down past Parkie, (Keith and Blackman's factory on the opposite side of the road),past the old police station and on to the Brothock Bridge, along Grimsby or Marketgate to the Harbour. When you go up the dual carriageway nowadays, it's hard to judge where these old streets were positioned.
Marcol
Wee Smokie

379 Posts
Last here:
3 days ago
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  09:04:50 AM Show Profile Visit Marcol's HomepageSend Marcol a Private Message Reply with Quote
Oh Flinstone - I can still walk these street in my mind,Maule Street, Panmure Street, Spink Street, St Mary's Street, Green Street, Hume Street and many more as they were in the 60s. I wish I could go back with a camera now. Angus Archives have a very good record of Maule Street and Arrot Street/Reform Street, one of the few that have been photographed well.
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  6:42:31 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
I agree - these were the streets of my childhood. Fergus Square, Fergus Street, Russell Street. Rossie Street,Green Street - the area where my granny lived for the last 30 years or so of her life. When I started work at Arbroath Infirmary, I used to walk from where I lived in Airlie Crescent, down Lillies Wynd into Guthrie Port (or cut through the revamped Wyndies), up the Highroad Brig and Stobcross, along St Mary Street, (stopping at Peter Cowie's shoppie for 10 fags and a Tunnock's tea cake for my cuppie)up Garden Street, Jamieson Street then Addison Place, up to the Infirmary. That was every day, until we moved down to Millgate Loan in 1969. I know this topic has been discussed before, but it is so enjoyable to keep the memories alive.
Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  7:22:26 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Marcol - you are exactly right, when you think of it, it's absolutely amazing that we can visit those long gone streets in our memories. As I was enjoying flintstone's description of her twice daily walk from Airlie to the Infirmary and then back home, I could visualize her journey step by step.
Wilma you walked right past my uncle Will s (Hutton) Grocer shop with it's rich smells of coffee stored somewhere in a wall of small drawers.

Airlie Cresc; wow that brought back a rush of memories of my happy times driving the delivery van for the Mace Grocers. Which happened to be not only 'the busiest' but hands down 'the best' message boy job in Toon! How many Message boys were handed the keys to a brand new Hillman Minx or Vaxhall Viva? Of course along with the van came an amazing workload, I ran my little arse off every Saturday.
I would carry 3 and 4 boxes high as I bounded up the stairs to the second and 3rd floors of Airlie Cresc, and I would repeat that trip many many times on any given Saturday. After chapping on the doors it was a good idea for me to hang around to deliver the groceries personally, I got more tips out of Airlie and Strathie than any other place I delivered over the whole north side of toon.
If nobody was home, I would leave the box's on the door mat. Couldn't do that today!

Pétanque
Haggis Supper (with extra sauce)

France
174 Posts
Last here:
2 days ago
Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  7:29:36 PM Show ProfileSend Pétanque a Private Message Reply with Quote
Wilma, have you ever thought of writing a book, your wonderful memory and ability to portray your memories so eloquently, I for one would buy it, These street names invoke such memories I can almost smell them. All of my childhood memories took place in or around these streets you mention and I feel privileged to have been part of it. I also noticed in another post your reference to 'that road' I have always refrained from commenting on this event, mainly because I left Arbroath more than 40 years ago and I lost the right to have a strong view. However, I have to say, instinctively, the decision to build this road changed Arbroath forever.
8ball
Wee Smokie

Arbroath, Scotland
292 Posts
Last here:
25 Aug 2014
Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  10:20:29 PM Show Profile Visit 8ball's HomepageSend 8ball a Private Message Reply with Quote
Aye it did..and it has..
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1270 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  1:02:26 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Brian - your adventures in the Vauxhall are recalled in another post somewhere on this site. I remember, after reading about them, asking you if you knew a former work colleague of mine, Bill Donald, who happened to work for Percy Watt in the 60's. He was your boss back then. I'll bet he gave you a dressing down in that famous Aiberdeen twang of his - and I can tell you it's still as strong today! Your stories of delivering to Airlie Cresccent - you, Stan, and Keith must have kept all the families in Airlie Crescent well stocked up with messages (or, as my dad used to call them "airrants"). Stan delivered for Eck Law and Keith for McDonald's in Guthrie Port. Wonder who delivered for Lawson the Grocers in Guthrie Port?

Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  2:04:05 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
Flintstone, I will never forget Bill Donald, he was a great boss to everyone in the Mace store, with his Aberdonian humor and sliver tongue Bill made the Montrose Rd Mace a happy place to work, and work we did. You would not believe the volume of groceries that went out the door, I had to fly to keep up with Saturday's deliveries.

If my memory serves me correctly Bill only had to give me a real "dressing down" once, regarding tackin it easy turnin corners so that the boxes filled with customer "messages" didn't spill all over the floor of the van. I would curse at the loss of a timely delivery as I stopped to repack the tipped over box s. Bill son learned there was a problem when people would come back into the shop with items they didn't purchase while other items were missing from their box's. It all came together for Bill when someone else walked back in with the missing items from the first customer plus their own list of missing items that amazingly corresponded with the arm load the first customer brought back. I was well caught.
IN MY DEFENSE: I was 17! Also the Van was certainly ideal for deliveries when it was packed from the front seats to the rear doors (& on Saturdays piled to the roof,) but towards the end of any trip with only two or three box's left in the back , well; that's when things started to fly. There REALLY should have been some kind of restraining system to eliminate falling box's.

Percy & Mrs Watt were also Aberdonian's and lovely people tae boot, they owned the two Mace shopies in toon and had two vans flying around to keep up with the massive volume of deliveries. The Watt's did very well with their enterprise and lived in what I believe was formerly the (large) 'Vets house' on Montrose Rd.
Bill lived in the new multi's on Smitty Croft and I always enjoyed delivering his groceries, you see despite no tip from my Aberdonian boss, Bills wife was drop dead gorgeous. tongue

Brian Dickson
Wee Smokie

Brian Dickson

USA
292 Posts
Last here:
14 Oct 2014
Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  2:25:57 PM Show Profile Visit Brian Dickson's HomepageSend Brian Dickson a Private Message Reply with Quote
8Ball, I would like to bring the thread back to butcher boys (kinda.) Maybe you could verify this urban myth.

On the delicate subject of Charlie Fleming s untimely death. First I must say I was shattered at the news, Arbroath surely lost a REAL character.
My family heard that Charlie actually passed away in his bath tub, at home on Rossie St. As the story goes his brother Bill found this highly amusing. When asked to explain Bill said, "Charlie always said to me that he wasn't afraid of death, just as long as he was clean when he passed away."
When you think on that, it's quite amazing.

Is that really how it went 8ball, or is this a myth?

Page: of 14Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2012 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.39 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *