Famous people with an Arbroath connectionArbroath picture galleryA select of Arbroath videos from YouTubeDetails of local visitor attractionsAll about Arbroath

Welcome Guest! [ Login | Register ]
What's New! | Search | FAQ

You are currently viewing our site as a guest, to enjoy full access why not register a login, it's totally free!

Return to the front page TheShoppie.com
 History & Information
 Arbroath History, People and Places
 CHRISTMAS MEMORIES  
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  8:16:41 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Santa brought me a copy of Terry Woods book, Almost Famous! Not a great deal of reading, but some terrific photos. Worth a look if you are interested in the music scene in the 6os and later
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  6:40:35 PM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Can’t believe 4 years have past since the last post in this thread. Since then a few local folks have put pen to paper and come up with a book of their own. The most recent is Alan Gyles, a very likeable lad, whose late parents used to run the .station Hotel. He has written a novel called The Finger if Suspicion, and more recently, a humorous look at the Arbroath dialect called Far Di Yi Comfy. This wee gem is full of words found in the Oxford .english Dictionary, but have an entirely different meaning in Arbroath! As well as words, the book has a lot of photos of Arbroath past and present, and, ( she says, clearing her throat), some specially written verses and other wee gems from some local wifie wha’ writes odd does!!! So, if you are looking for a wee stocking filler, you can get this marvellous publication from Alan Gyles himself, or from The Learning Tree in Arbroath. The Learning Tree is housed in the auld Soshy hardware shop in Guthrie Port. Go on.....youknow you want to!!!!!
BlastInAude
Wee Smokie

France
346 Posts
Last here:
Yesterday
Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  10:59:41 PM Show Profile Visit BlastInAude's HomepageSend BlastInAude a Private Message Reply with Quote
Perhaps a bit off-piste (8 miles actually). This very day, a Canadian friend (ex-Carnoustie) brought my good lady a copy of a new book "The Grocer's Boy" by Robert Murray, detailing life from his "humble beginnings" as a delivery boy for Willie Low's in Carnoustie. I wonder where he got the idea for the title?
flintstone
Master Smokie

flintstone

1652 Posts
Last here:
4 days ago
Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  09:09:52 AM Show ProfileSend flintstone a Private Message Reply with Quote
Pete, I have requested this book from Santa. Robbie is a member of The Station Masters golf club, as is my hubby, and they know each other pretty well. He has also written a play about Burns which was one of the last times the late Janet .williamson performed. I love reading about days gone by.
Page: of 3Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic   Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TheShoppie.com
Contact Us (About Us)
Help us with our running costs - Donate Here
© TheShoppie.com 2003-2015 Go To Top Of Page
Generated for you in 0.34 secondsSnitz Forums 2000

(C)TheShoppie.com 1995-2013
* The images and text used on this site are copyright TheShoppie.com (unless noted otherwise) and may not be reproduced without written permission *